The publisher says "The developmentally driven Words Their Way instructional approach is a phenomenon in word study, providing a practical way to study words with students. The keys to this successful, research-based approach are to know your students’ literacy progress, organize for instruction, and implement word study."
Associate Professor in UNCG's Department of Teacher Education and Higher Education, Dr. Francine Johnston is one of the authors of Words Their Way. The publisher explains that 5th edition of this book has been updated with some of the features seen below.
- Ground-breaking online PDToolkit for Words Their Way™ gives educators access to:
- all new how-to classroom videos
- interactive classroom assessment tool featuring new user-friendly navigation
- prepared and create-your-own word sorts
- games, templates, and more!
- Complimentary 6-month access packaged with each new Fifth Edition
- To learn more, please visit: http://pdtoolkit.pearson.com
- Innovative redesign of the book introduces technology integration aligning text to online videos, sorts, and assessments specific to each chapter.
- Unprecedented inclusion of progress monitoring throughout the book.
- Brand-new continuum of support model offers tips for better planning and carrying out word study lessons in the classroom.
- Expanded discussion on oral vocabulary, secondary instruction, writing, and early/middle/late phases in the derivational relations stage.
- Updated collection of classroom activities helps build the skills students need to move on to the next developmental stage.
- New “Resources for Implementing Word Study in Your Classroom” provides information about resources teachers can use in their instruction.
- Enhanced coverage of English learners provides tips and strategies for modifying instruction.
- Classroom-ready appendices contain all the assessment instruments described in Chapter 2 as well as word sorts, sound boards, and game templates to get instruction underway.